Boat stops at the Giessbach
The first guests of the Grandhotel Giessbach were brought to the old “Ländte” (landing stage) by row boats, by the “skipper of Brienz”. The first embarkation point was established in early 1800, and the old landing stage was soon expanded for the first boat on Lake Brienz, “Giessbach 1” (Matti), which operated from 1839-1843. The path from the “Ländte” up to the first Giessbach guesthouse proved rather challenging. Further boats were the “DS Faulhorn” (1843-1857), “Interlaken” (1857-1950) and “Giessbach III” (1859-1956). In 1869, the Knechtenhofer brothers founded the steam ship company for Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. Finally, the present landing spot "Giessbach See" was opened with new boats “DS Oberland” (1870) and “DS Brienz” (1871).
The large covered hall and a ticket counter most likely date from this time. A small residence was located to the east of the hall, in which the warden lived. He would sell boat tickets, and from 1879 also tickets for the Giessbach funicular railway. There was also a kiosk.
The other wooden buildings were only built in 1878/79 together with the funicular. Restorations and modifications took place from 1947, and eventually the warden’s house gave way to a power plant. The mooring stage was upgraded at the same time. Since 2005, the toilet facilities in the hall have benefited from their own purification plant, which operates chemical-free.